This year in my ward I was in charge of Sub for Santa. This was something that added to the long list of things that I already had to do, but I was willing to do it. Let's just say that it was a nightmare and I have learned my lesson. IF I ever have do be in charge again, it will be done differently... that is for sure! We had 5 families in my immediate neighborhood that we were assisting with gifts this year. Some families knew about it, for others Sub for Santa would come as a surprise. I had probably 8 families that wanted to shop for the children and the others that wanted to help, donated money. We had a HUGE turnout for donations. I was shocked. After hours and hours of organizing, coordinating and delivering... Sub for Santa was complete! A HUGE shout out to my presidency for helping out as well as Scotty! I could not have done it with out these people! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
The loot!
Honestly, I was pretty bitter about Sub for Santa... all that was involved... the nightmare of logistics... ungrateful families... ect ect. However, it was all worth it the Sunday morning after Christmas when one of the families walked into Sacrament Meeting wearing the dresses they had received from their Secret Santa. All of the girls were in pure bliss and they looked adorable. That's what Sub for Santa is all about.
2 comments:
I am always shocked by the ingratitude of the receiving families. My friend is a single mom and her ward wanted to do sub for santa for her family and she almost had a feeling of entitlement and I couldn't believe the things her kids were expecting from the ward. Anyway it allows those giving a way to feel the true meaning of Christmas and I'm glad the cute girls seemed appreciative. I feel bad that I didn't do anything to help out. That would've been an overwhelming task to add on to an already busy and crazy month. You rock!!!
@heather... oh boy you have no idea! but... all is well! No worries on not helping... it was more the logistics of the money/collections/delivering. Everyone in the ward was very generous!
Post a Comment